Sunday, July 1, 2007

India 8 Road Rage (just kidding)




Transportation and Traffic.

This is one aspect of India that shocked me. I know India has over one billion people but I felt as if half of then were in the same city with me. The streets were always crowded and I had to get used to the way people drove and weaved in and out of the ‘lanes’.
My first day in an “Auto” (a rickshaw with an engine) was an eye opener. There were hundreds of Autos and Bikes and cars everywhere. Even the cows saw it fit to join in the fray but no one seemed to mind.
For the first time in my life, I saw women sitting side saddle on a bike as their husband worked the lanes, weaving in and out to make as much headway as possible. Along the way, it was no hassle to reach over and put my hand or foot on another bike or Auto whenever we stopped in the traffic. Everyone drove so close I was sure we would be involved in a few accidents (well, more than a few really) but fortunately, everything went smoothly. I did see one accident in Chennai that involved a bike but it did not seem to be anything major
Take a look at these pics. Notice the women sit sidesaddle behind the driver as well as three not two persons on the bikes. In one pic the guy is so close to me I an reach out and pat him on his arm. Pay close attention to the young child between the parents in another picture.

No comments: