Friday, July 13, 2007

India 18 Land of the Free???



India may be called many things but I want to call it, The Land Of the Free. I was surprised, no, actually more like shocked to see cows on the streets as though they were part of the normal everyday traffic. I guess when you think about it they were a normal part of the traffic to the average Indian but for me, a first time visitor, I could not be more surprised.
The truth of the matter is, the cow is a scared animal to Indians, or Hindus so they are awarded freedom to roam pretty much everywhere. Hindus do not worship (?) the cow but she is seen as a mother figure and holds an honoured place in society. This is a very inmpotant and interesting apect of Hinduism and the link below gives some insight if you are keen.
The first picture was taken during morning rush hour traffic and the second during evening rush hour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_cowe

No comments: