Wednesday, July 25, 2007

India 30 The Train To Mumbai





This train trip was my fourth overnight train in less than a week and it was the longest of all the train journeys. In that one week, I have spent more time and travelled more time on trains than the whole of my life before. For me it was quite the adventure and I was half hoping we could sit on top of the train like you see in many Indian films.
This was not to be mainly because of safety and also because of the monsoon which was making its presence felt since we were in Hubli.
This particular train trip was of special significance to me. The first was I finished reading the highly acclaimed book "Train To Pakistan" by Khushwant Singh. It is an amazing book and it gripped me the moment I began.
The second occurred because we had a few hours of daylight when we began the journey and Jon and I spent a fair amount of time looking out an open door and marvelling at the green farm land and towering mountains as we made our way from Hubli to Mumbai. I have never seen such greenery with rice paddies being watched over by the great mountain peaks. Here are just a few of the pictures.

No comments: