Sunday, July 1, 2007

India 2. Mumbai: The Station






Victoria Station, Mumbai…Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus


Now known as The Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, I first caught sight of this magnificent building in the movie Bombay, and was excited when Jon told me we will visit and have a close look. Unfortunately, we got there at night and having a regular camera, these are the pictures we got.
The night view did not take away from the beauty and majestic look of this amazing building. When I see works like these, I try to imagine what it must have been like to work on it month after month and finally to see it in all its glory.
The sad part is that its not used or kept to its best. I guess there are much more important things for the Mumbai State to do with their money that keep up some old British building to its former glory but it would make one spectacular sight for all of India.
In spite of this, I had to admire the workmanship and its still a must see for anyone who visits Mumbai.
Check out this link for more details and at least one great picture of the station:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chhatrapati_Shivaji_Terminus

The last two pics I found online via a google search.

No comments: