Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Columbia University, School of General Studies

Playing the waiting game is never easy, especially when you have no choice but to wait. That was the case with me before I came to London and up to the first week I was here. I was anxiously awaiting for news from Columbia University. Would I be accepted or not?

My advisers at BMCC, my previous college all believed that i would be, and I convinced myself that I would, but you never really know. I wanted to say, yes I will be accepted, but it was easy to doubt when there was no real way of knowing. Doubts would creep into my mind and play tricks on me and sometimes when I was alone, I would regress back into my old self when I doubted my abilities, my future, my dreams, everything really.

Redemption finally came in the from of an email from CU, telling me I was accepted as a student for the Fall 2008 Semester. I was ecstatic, overjoyed, thrilled that an answer had come, and a positive one at that. My friend Kalina was at hand and I immediately shared the news with her. Next I email a few people who was in this with me.

After the initial excitement subsided, I realized how fortunate I was to be a prospective student at the prestigious CU. I read later on that only 2% of students who apply actually get accepted, and here I was, one of the chosen. I am truly humbled and proud to be a part of such a select group. I am humbled to think of where I have come from, my family's background, my years 'in the wilderness' and the path that led me to where I am now.

I acknowledge that I did not get here alone. Thanks to my family, some of whom followed my progress in the last few years, all of whom believed that I had it in me to do it and helped in ways they could, and special friends who not only believed in me, but helped me tremendously to get to this point. Thanks to God and his faithfulness, even when we are not faithful, in directing our paths.

Thanks for being with me on this journey. Thanks for your presence, your prayers, your guidance, your time, and your love and friendship you have given over the years. That is what has helped me to live my dreams these past few years, and I know, will continue to inspire me in the years ahead.

1 comment:

Ben said...

"I read later on that only 2% of students who apply actually get accepted,"??

where on earth did you read that? the acceptance rate for Columbia College is 10.6% (according to US NEWS and World report) no way the GS program is below that....

according to Columbia itself, in 2007 the acceptance rate for the GS program was 39.5%

2005-2007 Admission Statistics

if it's dropped from 39.5% to 2% in one year - i'd be shocked... and rather scared as i'm applying there in March....!