Saturday, February 9, 2008

Trinidad # 7: Nature's Bounty





One of the great things about living on a tropical island is the amount of fruit trees to be found and where I grew up in Las Lomas is no exception. In fact, there were many days when fruits trees in the village like mangoes and cashews and coconuts were a major part of our diet to make up for the shortage of food in our home.

One of my favorite things things to do during the mango season was to climb one of the trees around our house with a knife in my back pocket, find a comfortable spot among the branches, pick a few ripe mangoes and have a nice relaxing time on the tree eating them. These particular mangoes I am refering too are quite large so the most I was able to eat in one go was two...the good old days.

On my recent trip home I visited some friends and was in that mode again beacuse the trees were laden with all manner of fruits. Needless to say, we had a good time picking and eating and for me, I enjoyed being in the outdoors again, climbing trees like I used to a a little boy running free in the village.

No comments: