Monday, February 5, 2007

Psychology: Normal vs Abnormal

As some of you may know, I have chosen Psychology as my major and I have completed one class last semester, Introduction To Psychology, and I am presently enrolled in my second psych class, Abnormal Psychology.
Some questions were posed to the class and I wanted to do the same to you and hopefully have some feedback of your thoughts on the subject.

1. How would you define normal?

2. How would you define abnormal?

3. Are we generally normal with with a bit of the abnormal or are we either normal or abnormal?

4. What are some of the factors that make you think the way you do?

I know you are a brilliant bunch so feel free to give me your thoughts on one or more of the questions.
I can even give credit to you in my class if I mention your answer.

On a lighter note...
I am beginning to think I have more abnormalities that I would like to admit. But that said, I will end this post.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Salams mate! hope you are having a great time there! Post some more pics!!! haha

following is my perception of normal/abnormal in brief.

normal/abnormal=(percieved)yin/yang

socially;
normal> you are doing what others think you should be doing.
abnormal> you are doing the opposite.

A person without a bit of the abnormal is hardly normal.

Internal and external and physiological and psyhological factors make us think the way we do. The list of things affecting the way we think is way too long to mention here though! I dont know what psychology books say but I categorise them loosely in these categories; relationships, beliefs, financial situation, health, knowledge and environment.

I reckon you will like 'Tricks of the mind' by Derren Brown.

wishing u a healthy happy life! take care

Cau