Thursday, February 1, 2007

A little Trini joke... with some reasons

This is just to establish the fact that I am a Trini:

The following incident takes place in Barbados.

A first grade teacher explains to her class that she is Bajan. She asked her students to raise their hands if they were Bajan, too. Not really knowing why but wanting to be like their teacher, their hands explode into the air like flashy fireworks. There is, however, one exception. A girl named Charlene has not gone along with the crowd.

The teacher asks her why she has decided to be different. "Because I am not Bajan." "Then," asked the teacher, "What are you?" "I'm a proud Trini," boasts the little girl.

The teacher is a little perturbed now, her face slightly red. She asked Charlene why she is a Trini. "Well, my mom and dad are Trini, so I am Trini, too."

The teacher is now angry. "That's no reason," she says loudly. "What if your mom was a moron, and your dad was a moron. What would you be then?"

A pause and then a smile. "Then," says Charlene, "I would be a Bajan."

If you are Bajan, we are still neighbours, OK?... No offense.


TOP 10 REASONS FOR WANTING TO BE TRINI

1) Trini Carnival: The greatest show on Earth.

2) Dwight, Brian, Wendy, Machel, Ato (not too sure about these, but...).

3) Steel pan gone worldwide.

4) We does talk English good 'n ting.

5) It's the land of holidays.

6) Liming is the national pastime (hanging out with friends/family, just chillin').

7) We perfected "bacchanal."

8) Everybody know everyting.

9) All ah we is one.

10) Food... 'nuff said.


TRINI SLANG: TRINI TO ENGLISH

1) Gopaul luck eh Seepaul luck. = The luck you have or encounter will not be the same as another person."

2) Ah fed up. = I'm tired of a situation.

3) Yuh like ah tic. = You are annoying; you nag all the time.

4) To harras = to bug or annoy someone while he/she is busy

5) Meh head hot. = I have a lot on my mind, "plenty worries."

6) Ah eh payin' tax fuh meh mout'. = I have freedom of speech; I can say what I want.

7) Yuh look fur dat. = You deserve that.

No comments: