Saturday, June 21, 2008

Salzburg Global Seminar: A Day At Dachau 1

One of the highlights of our visit to Salzburg was the visit to Dachau. We knew beforehand that we would be making the trip but with all the activities going on around us, there was really no time to think about it. Then the day came and we got on the bus for the two hour ride there.
Nothing prepared me for the emotions that swept over me as we rode the bus to the site. Not all the movies I have seen, not all the articles I have read on the war, ant not all the books I have read. It was a day of mixed emotions for me to stand there on the same ground that thousands walk on, never know where their next step would lead.



On the bus, sitting with Jeffrey, we made our way silently to the memorial site.




It seemed as if the weather was preparing us for the trip but being cold and melancholy. There was never a single ray of sunshine on the ride there or back.


The famous words "Never Again" written in several languages greets the visitor close to the museum. I am not sure if the world has been living up to that but it is altogether another chapter.


A piece of artwork that shows that represents the plies of bodies that was found when the camp was liberated'


A wide open area in front of some of the buildings where the prisoners were gathered morning and evening to be counted by their guards.

No comments: