Monday, January 28, 2008

Trinidad # 2 Family History: Lost Forever?



One of the things I was hoping to accomplish while in Trinidad was to visit some relatives and try to get some information about my grandparents and great grandparents. This proved to be much more difficult than anticipated.

I visited my father's two sisters, the only ones left of his many siblings and was very disappointed with their responses. They could not give me any names of either of their grandparents and I could not help but think they could not be bothered by what is past.

I was certain at least one of them would be able to give me something to work on but I got nothing, absolutely nothing. I left their homes feeling like the day was a complete and all the family's history was lost forever. The sad part is that it is lost. If they don't want to talk about it or don't remember, then it is lost for sure and there is nothing I can do about it.

On my mother's side, there is one of her mother's sister still alive but at 75, there was little she could tell. Turns out most of the older Indians in Trinidad used only one name and children never used the proper names of their parents and grandparents. This resulted in another dead end with the other side of the family long forgotten. So much for that.

The picture is of my father's youngest sister and another of his older sister.

No comments: